Wednesday, September 17, 2008

some new things


I did all by myself.  I paid my bills at the convenient store, 3 bills, electricity and 2 phone bills.  I sent 4 pieces of mail to the states and had a nice "discussion" with the postman how to address Japanese envelopes.  To address on the front, from address on the back.

(I had to stop and think about the word discussion....I have not had one of those here with a Japanese person ever, such an interesting concept for my life in Japan).  

So, after my delightful stop at the post office I was off to the train station heading to Otsu for my re-entry permit.  Not only did I not know where the office was, I didn't have my form to get the permit.  But!  I managed to find my way to the stamp station, pay the 60 yen for the stamps, and get directions to the proper permit building!  When I arrived I was able to find the form, fill it out (without my usual prolonging fret that increases my form filling time to twice as long).  Filled it out and asked the nice man at the desk questions that I was unsure of.  I got about 5 minutes of Japanese soap opera in before I had my permit and I was out of there.

Next up, shopping.  I really just needed a watch.  

Shopping is what keeps me questioning my allegience to the female gender.  I'm terrible at it.  I start out telling myself, I know what I need.  I think I know what I need.  I have a list.  I have 3 lists.  It starts with one thing...'just focus Kyla'.  A watch.  I keep looking at my wrist and am constantly disappointed (unlike this very second as I watch Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook....never disappointing.) 

So I enter Parko, this giant mall...I am feeling excited.  I accomplished all my goals for the day and I had a little too much cash in my wallet, the mall seemed like a perfect idea.  First stop swatch...right?  Hmm...TOO MANY CUTE CLOTHES on the way....what to do?  Try everything on....but I collect myself and decide...I'm here for a watch.

Watch found! Swatch.  I thought something utilitarian, something that would work with every outfit and just simply tell me the time.  But...then I found this watch and clearly fashion could not be compromised. (sorry it looks like my arms are dead - awful fluorescent lighting!)

So after I had the taste of doling out cash I went looking for, ya know, 'just a top'.  I stumbled into this fantastic store called Natural Beauty Basics...Not only were these clothes Kawaii (cute) but it reminded me of how liberating it is to buy new clothes.  And so I did.  Before I made a *small* purchase I made 2 fantastic discoveries...you have to take your shoes off before going into a fitting room - does anyone else think that's too much? - and when trying on shirts you must first put one of these on....no joke.

Well...after my adventure in shopping it was definitely lunch.  I found a great Italian place with a view, ordered some pasta with mushrooms and cream sauce and had a glass of wine.  I was slightly miffed that they were out of garlic bread but I was not going to let it spoil my celebration for self reliance.  I read a little bit of my book, Love in the Time of Cholera and tried to relax but couldn't figure out if this restaurant was a place where you could hang out or if it was an 'eat your meal and quickly remove yourself' kind of place.  I made a terrible oversight in the clothing shop by taking a pair of leggings out of it's plastic bag and would hate to be so presumptuous now! (Yikes big mistake...the clerk was not too happy) So I ate comfortably but then left.  It was getting dark anyway.  Now, if I could just make it 5 escalators down without finding something else I "needed".

No! The answer is no.  I found the home shop!!!  OMG.  I almost made it out but then there it was, pillows, blankets, beds, couches, lamps and SO CUTE!  I went back and forth between pillows and bedding.  The new bedding made itself into the fitting room with me where I left it deciding I was not there for bedding.  But neither was I there for the clothes necessarily but it didn't stop me from getting another top with tank for underneath...woops.  

Okay...long blog but in the end I will tell you, after doing all of these things by myself today I am starting to feel like I live here.  Despite the fact that I still know practically nothing about the culture and language I have made my way through today.  I owned everything about today and I began to feel at home.  Maybe it is because I am returning to me, the girl who takes on the world.  Or maybe I am on an endorphin high from my retail therapy.  either way, it was a great day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi missy -

i've added you onto my blogroll on wordpress. hope you're having fun in japan!

kimmie

Katie said...

I love you! Wow I forgot what an amazing writer you are. I think someone needs to quite their job and get published? You inspired me to write after reading all your incredibly fun and witty blogs but then the thought of a nap distracted me. Maybe after menopause?